Custom Paintings in Watercolor and Oil Paint
Focus on Pet Portraiture
Custom Pet Portraits
I work from your photos to create a painting of your pet in watercolor or oil paint. Below are samples. Prices are estimates and will vary with number of subjects, complexity of the background. Contact me for a personalized quote.
- Bright and colorful and are painted on archival watercolor paper.
- They are not varnished and have no protection from moisture and staining, they must be matted and framed behind glass (recommend professional framing)
- Painted on stretched canvas or hardboard.
- They take longer to dry and are varnished for protection, do not require framing, although framing can add a finished touch.
Pricing for Custom Pet Portraits
Watercolor on Archival Watercolor Paper
Size Pricing S/H
8 by 10 inches $120.00 $10.00
11 by 14 inches $195.00 $14.00
16 by 20 inches $255.00 $25.00
22 by 30 inches $385.00 $86.00
Oil Paintings on Gallery Wrapped Canvas or GessoBoard
Size Pricing S/H
8 by 10 inches $155.00 $10.00
11 by 14inches $245.00 $16.00
16 by 20 inches $325.00 $35.00
24 by 30 inches $395.00 $85.00
36 by 36 inches $595.00 $100.00
- This price is for One Pet, with a simple background.
- Each Additional Pet in the painting will add $50 dollars to the cost of the painting.
- More complex backgrounds will add to the cost as well since they take longer to complete.
Gift Certificates are Available
Information for Pet Portraits:
- e-mail photos to firstname.lastname@example.org, highest resolution possible, you may need to send one photo per email if the images are large. I cannot work from professionally taken photos without the written permission of the photographer due to copyright law, but I have found many photographers willing to let me use their photos, so dont hesitate to ask them, or I can ask for you.
- Mark the pet pose you prefer, but send additional photos for accurate coat and eye color if necessary.
- Outdoor photos with NO FLASH work best (or else you will not get a very good eye photo, you will see an odd reflection from the back of the eye and not the actual iris color of the eye. The eye may appear red or green or just black)
- Fill the frame with your your pet, up close photos make the best portraits.
- Photos taken at same level as your pet are most interesting, so get down to their level when you take the photo! Getting your pet's attention with treats, favorite toy will give you good expression.
- Include Favorite Items: maybe the ball your retriever always carries, or the blanket that they love to sleep with....
- For horse portraits, stand back and use your zoom lens to prevent distortion of the image, (or else your horse's head will appear very large and the body very small)
- It is very helpful if you can tell me a little about your pet's personality.
- I will simplify the background unless you specify otherwise, to keep the focus on your pet (detailed backgrounds may increase the cost of the portrait)
- Typically 2 to 4 week turnaround, but please let me know if you have a timeframe, I can usually work to meet that time request.
- Christmas time is very busy, please contact me as early as possible if you are looking for a Christmas Gift or consider purchasing a gift certificate.
I use only professional quality paints and archival, heavyweight watercolor paper and linen canvas or high quality hardboard.
These are unframed and watercolor paintings will require matting, glass and frames. I do not offer framing services at this time, but can help you to choose your framing and provide tips for mat and/or frame colors.
I ship the paintings flat and carefully packed, and ship USPS Priority Mail.
Thank you and please contact me if you have questions.